UC Berkeley
English Proficiency

UC Berkeley English Proficiency

The English Proficiency Requirement (EPR) is to evaluate the English language proficiency of students whose native language is not English and who want to enroll in Berkeley Summer Sessions courses with subjects other than English as a Second Language (ESL). All students from countries in which the official language is not English are required to submit official evidence of English language proficiency.

Acceptable English Proficiency Exams:

Results from the following exams, taken within the last 3 years, are acceptable to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement. The following scores indicate the required level of proficiency:

Acceptable Test: BULATS CFFR CET-4(China) Computer-based TOEFL GEPT GRE (Verbal score) IELTS Internet-based TOEFL iTEP Paper-based TOEFL TEM TOEIC
Minimum Score: 65 B2 493 213 High intermediate 140 for tests taken after Aug 1, 2011 6.5 80 Level 5 600 70 685

You are exempt from the English Proficiency Requirement:

Requesting Waivers:

You may request a waiver to the English Proficiency Requirement if any of the following criteria apply:

  • You reside in a country where English is the primary or official language, and that country is not on our List of Exempt Countries.
  • You currently attend a university where English is the language of instruction for the majority of courses taught.
  • You have attended schools at the secondary level (high school) or above for at least three years full-time where English is the principal language of instruction (as in the United States, the United Kingdom, and in some international schools).

If you would like to request a waiver, please see Procedure for Requesting a Waiver.

Please Note: Waivers will be considered only after the student has registered for courses. If the waiver is denied, the student may still submit an English proficiency exam score from any of the acceptable exams listed above. Students who cancel their registration due to waiver denials are still obligated to pay the Cancellation Fee

Students Currently Studying in an English Speaking Country:

If you are currently studying in an English-speaking country (or have studied in an English-speaking country) for at least one academic year, you are not required to submit an acceptable English proficiency exam. Instead, you can submit an official or unofficial transcript from that school.

If you still have questions about the English Language Proficiency Requirement , please see English Proficiency Requirement Frequently Asked Questions or contact us.

How to Submit English Proficiency Requirement Documentation:

All documentation for the English Proficiency Requirement, including exam scores, waiver requests and transcripts, are submitted through the MySummer student portal